Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Next 20 Minutes

Alright, I missed yesterday. The clock starts back at Zero. Not much I could do about it though... I was traveling and then on a date! It really does seem that there is not enough time in the day. Actually, anyone who knows me that just read that sentence has got to be cracking up--I'm not the most efficient person in the world, although I can put it into gear and get my stuff done when I need to.

Anyway. I had a list of things I could write about today but I'm going to scrap it. I'm such a rebel. Instead I'm going to write about wasting time and is Wasted Time Really Wasted?

I could probably write for 3 hours on the ways to waste time on the internet but that would actually be a waste, so I won't. There are already articles written on how much time people waste at work so I won't worry about quantity. How about the gray areas? Like naps or Facebook?

Naps, I've been happily learning, are not as much a waste as I once thought. Apparently, sleeping more can help you lose weight! And improve brain functions like reflexes, memory, problem solving skills and chipperness. (Sorry, no references... you'll just have to trust me.) I know for me, a 1 hour nap which could be used job hunting will actually enable me to stay up until 3am today and allow me to be a--mostly--happy and attentive bartender for 8 hours. Of course the argument could be made that that time might be better spent looking for a job that will help me get out of bartending, but listen people, these bills aren't going to pay themselves. I tried that when I was 19--it didn't work out so well for me. So besides making me happier, my landlord also appreciates my napping.

Facebook is a notorious time waster in the workplace, it's true. I know it's true because companies have spent money to find out why productivity is low and articles have been written about that also. (What's a reference?) I can't say that I've seen it in action though, because for me, Facebook is more like work. I have friends all over the country and keeping up with what's going on in their lives is very demanding. Not to mention emotionally draining--looking at pictures of all the fun my friends are having in their lives sometimes makes me wish I was doing what they're doing which causes hours of introspection--where is my life going? what am I doing? what is my plan? why didn't I go teach English in Japan?--after which I have to build myself back up and convince myself that I am exactly where God wants me to be right now. (Naps help with that too--see above paragraph.)

My biggest time waster? Computer solitaire. I have to play until I win and once I win and I'm in the black (I play with Vegas standards) I want to keep playing. It's compulsive. I need help. I'll think about that during my nap that I'm about to take to make me a better bartender.

No comments:

Post a Comment